Saturday, December 17, 2016



Just got back from seeing this amazing movie for the first, of which will hopefully, be several times.  I am going to find it difficult to describe just how good this movie was.  I've been describing the overall thought of this as Titanic - we all know what happens at the end without having seen the movie.  In this case, instead of an unsinkable ship sinking, we will watch as the plans to the Death Star are stolen.  Well in a way similar to how I was wowed by Titanic, I was wowed by Rogue One: A Star Wars Story.

I just got done reading a couple reviews to see if other people out there are holding this movie in the same high esteem I am - and wow are the reviews mixed.  My thought is you either have people that are true Star Wars fans - and loved this one-off, or you have some millennial who doesn't really "get" the whole Star Wars story and thinks Ep. VII was a good installment.

The reviews that made me think to throw out my own opinion, essentially had good things to say only about the humor of K-2SO.  Rolling Stone and The Chicago Tribune specifically, both completely missed the mark on their reviews.   Gives me horrible flashbacks to Jar Jar - oh God.  See the movie - see if you think that was really the first and only thing you'd mention if someone asked you about it.  K-2SO added to the movie in ways his predecessors C-3PO and R2-D2 added to their movies.  And that's it - added.  He didn't distract me with forced jokes and quips.  The main story was the prevailing theme throughout and it was ....just amazing!

As I said, for all true Star Wars fans, it was a story we already knew at a high level.  But Garreth Edwards and his crew did an impressive job of taking the basic story and filling in the gaps fantastically.  After the letdown of Ep. VII, I was relived to know that it is actually possible to continue telling the story I loved so much as a kid.  There was no need to force a strong female lead or African American character on the audience..  All the characters were there to tell the Star Wars story - not to make a name for themselves and their acting (in)ability.

 I hate spoiler reviews and it's so new that I don't want to accidentally ruin anything for anyone.  Wait...who am I kidding...no one actually reads this blog.  In any case, should you happen upon this post, and you're someone who truly "gets" Star Wars, GO SEE IT.  You will not be disappointed....PERIOD!

The Force be with you....always.

No comments:

Total Pageviews